Why TruWestA Better Auto Loan is Here
Put yourself in the driver's seat with our low-rate auto loans. Whether you're looking to purchase a new or used car or just want to refinance to a better monthly payment, TruWest has the lower rates and great terms you want.
- Low rates
- Financing available for new or used purchases or refinance
- Up to 90-days before first payment1
- Quick approvals
Next StepView Rates & Fees
Rates & FeesDetermine Your Costs
|49 - 63
|6.62% - 18.53%
|64 - 75
|7.08% - 12.90%
|76 - 84
|7.93% - 13.25%
*Rates after 0.25% discount
*APR=Annual Percentage Rate. On approved credit and up to 18.53% financing on New/Used Auto purchases and refinances from another institution, for a maximum 84-month term, and includes a 0.25% discount for auto transfer payment (Auto Transfer Payment). Rate subject to increase if Auto Transfer Payment is discontinued. As an example, monthly payments at 7.93% APR for an 84-month term are estimated at $15.55 per $1,000 borrowed. “New Auto” means the current and prior model year with less than 30,000 miles. “Used Auto” means the current and prior model year with 30,000 or more miles, and any earlier (older) model regardless of mileage. This offer may be valid for private party (person to person) purchases. Subject to change. Rates effective as of February 21, 2024.
Next StepView Calculator
CalculatorCalculate Your Payment
If you are in the process of applying for a loan to buy a car or refinance your existing debt, then you require the aid of an auto loan calculator. A calculator allows you to figure out how much credit you can afford by determining the monthly payment and the total loan cost. For instance, if you are reviewing our auto financing solution, we provide a simple-to-use loan calculator you can plug in the figures to determine loan affordability.
Auto Loan Calculator Help
Use this calculator to calculate loan details when the down payment is expressed as an amount.
Unlike a general loan calculator, this calculator allows for two unknown values. In addition to solving for the monthly payment amount, it will also calculate the "Car Price", the "Down Payment Amount" or the "Loan Amount". Just enter a "0" (zero) for one of the three values and provide the other two.
Note that the calculator calculates what percentage the down payment is of the price of the car. This is handy when a lender requires a borrower to provide a minimum percentage cash deposit.
The term (duration) of the loan is expressed as a number of months.
- 60 months = 5 years
- 120 months = 10 years
- 180 months = 15 years
- 240 months = 20 years
- 360 months = 30 years
If you need the ability to print the amortization schedule, or more flexibility such as selecting different payment or compounding frequencies or the ability to calculate term or interest rate, please see the auto loan calculator here: https://AccurateCalculators.com/auto-loan-calculator
Currency and Date Conventions
All calculators will remember your choice. You may also change it at any time.
Clicking "Save changes" will cause the calculator to reload. Your edits will be lost.
Auto Loan Payment Calculator Results Explained
- Monthly payment – This is the monthly installment you pay for the loan.
- Total purchase price – This is the total vehicle cost, usually excluding the sales tax.
- Term – This is the length of the loan, expressed in months. A longer-term translates into smaller monthly payments, but the longer you stretch the duration, the more interest you pay.
- Cash down – This is the partial payment amount made at the purchase time. The higher the cash down amount, the lower the financing required.
- Trade allowance – This is the amount offered for a vehicle you trade-in as part of the purchase. The purchase’s outstanding balance is also the amount owed on trade.
- Sales tax rate – The sales tax charged for the purchase is expressed as a percentage. Some states calculate sales tax on the total purchase price, while others do not charge sales tax on the trade-in amount. In the latter case, the tax is calculated based on the purchase price less the trade-in amount.
- Interest rate – This is the cost you pay annually for borrowing the money, excluding additional fees. The total cost for borrowing, including fees (e.g., loan origination fee), is known as the annual percentage rate (APR). Both interest rates and APR are expressed as percentages.
- Non-taxable fees – These are the additional fees on the purchase that are not taxable.
- Taxable fees – These are additional fees subject to sales tax, such as title transfer fees.
The information provided by these calculators are approximations and is intended for illustrative and general educational purposes only. This is not an illustration of current TruWest Credit Union products and offers. Accuracy is not guaranteed. Be sure to consult a financial professional prior to relying on the results. Programs, rates, costs, fees, restrictions, terms & conditions are subject to change without notice.
Next StepView FAQs
FAQsFrequently Asked Questions
How Is Car Loan Interest Calculated?
Interest is the cost you pay annually for the money advanced. While the rate remains the same throughout the loan term, the interest you pay reduces with every payment. Usually, the installment contains two parts–principal amount and interest. So, every time you make a monthly payment, you repay part of the principal reducing the amount used to calculate interest. A manual monthly interest calculation is as follows:
Monthly interest = (Interest rate x Loan balance) / 12
Our auto loan calculator has an amortization schedule that allows you to see the amount of interest charged in every monthly installment.
How Can I Calculate My Car Payment?
To calculate your monthly car payment, you need to know the total cost of the loan, i.e., the principal amount plus the interest. The total interest on the loan is derived by multiplying the interest rate and the principal amount.
Interest = Interest rate x Loan amount
You then add the interest to the loan amount and divide it by the loan term (in months) to get the monthly installment.
Monthly installment = Loan amount + Interest Loan term (months)
Can You Negotiate the APR for a Car Loan?
Negotiating the APR for a car loan is possible, but your ability to do so depends on several factors. Generally, the first interest rate you get on a loan might not be the lowest the lender can offer; hence there is always room to bargain for a better deal.
Factors affecting APR
- Good credit rating – A good credit rating can qualify you for a lower rate. A little research into the rates available for borrowers with a similar credit score to yours can be insightful and give you more bargaining power.
- Large down payment – If you put in a larger down payment, you can negotiate a lower rate since a higher cash down reduces your risk.
- Vehicle condition – Another strategy you can leverage to negotiate for a lower APR is buying a vehicle in good condition. New or slightly used cars are less likely to have mechanical breakdowns, hence get lower interest rates compared to older vehicles.
Do I need to be a member of TruWest to get an auto loan?
Yes. A membership is required if you are approved for the auto loan.
- Can I qualify for an auto loan with Social Security or investment income?
Next StepView Next Steps
Next StepsAs easy as 1, 2, 3
How to Apply for a TruWest Auto Loan
ApplyWhether you’re purchasing a new/used vehicle or interested in refinancing your current one, apply online, at a branch or by phone at 1(855) 878-9378
We'll Contact YouA TruWest representative will respond via phone or email within 24 hours
Check Your EmailIf approved, you will receive a pre-approval certificate via email along with additional instructions
Setup an AppointmentOnce you choose your new/used car or are ready to refinance, submit the required documents and set up your auto loan closing appointment
190-day without payment option is available and must be elected at signing. Interest and any finance charges begin accruing upon loan disbursement date and continue to accrue for the life of the loan. Existing TruWest® Credit Union loans are not eligible. Must be a TruWest member with a minimum deposit of $5. All loans are subject to credit qualification & approval. No other discounts apply. Additional terms, conditions, or restrictions may apply. Programs, rates, terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.